Friday 23 June 2017

Holding down a steady practice

The benefits of holding down a steady meditation practice.

Some of the benefits of meditation, are feeling relaxed and recharged, but I feel the most beneficial and powerful benefits come after prolonged regular or daily meditation practice. These benefits are not always evident, or visible straight away. From my own experience, over time, you will look back and see that you really have changed for the better. The changes are very subtle, and therefore are hard to see straight away.You may see, that you have become calmer, although you still get angry from time to time. You may also see your anger get less and less over the months and years.
You could find that you dwell on things a lot less, choosing instead to let things go more.
I found that my angry has reduced incrementally, but when I do get angry, i'm not a complete mess inside. Where before I use to feel like I was boiling up inside. Also I am better able to deal with stressful situations, by choosing not, to get caught up in negative thoughts or comments.
While I am listing these things, its good to point out, that we are all very different, and therefore meditation will effect us all differently. So why not keep a diary of how it goes, and how you feel you have changed?

So how do you hold down a steady meditation practice?

Find the right time. Find some time when you can be alone, and have as little disturbance as possible. For me, I like to wake up before my partner, in the morning, this way, i'm free to give her my undivided attention when she is up, and I will feel recharged without it disturbing our day together. Other people may find, doing meditation in the evening, before bed, very helpful in aiding sleep. It really is a very personal thing to you. But finding a time, you can stick to is very important.

Meditation spot. Meditation can be done almost anywhere, and at any time, once you have an understanding of it. But to start with, doing a seated meditation is best (a meditation with crossed legs on a cushion or seated in a chair is fine, if you have knee problems). The good thing about having a meditation spot, is that you can make it feel just right. Try to make it a calm environment by having it as clutter free as possible (clutter can subconsciously make the mind feel busier and very closed), and have things or smells that you associate with calmness. For me, I have a shrine with a statue of Lord Buddha, and other items, as it brings me a feeling of calmness just sitting in front of them.
The main point of this meditation spot, is to help you focus on the task at hand, and to make it as positive as possible. After a while you will look forward to your sessions, as I have come to.

How regularly will you meditate.
This one is a difficult one, as I stated before, we are all very different, so we will have different answers. I feel that a daily meditation practice, is really important, its great to start your day with a moment of calmness, leaving you relaxed and ready to tackle the days tasks. At the weekends I don't wake up till later on in the morning, as I know my lady likes to have a sleep in. So I get the best of both worlds.
Another reason for doing my practice daily, is that it's habit forming, and I know from experience doing it everyday helps keep the flow. I wont lie, I have had times, where I have slept in, but I have almost always found a way to do the my practice, later in the day, that's another reason why I like doing my practice in the morning. But by all means play around with this, till you find the prefect fit for you.

Set your meditation time. This can be as little or as long as you like, but try to start small and work your way up, as you may find you get agitated if you do too much to soon. 10 to 15 minutes to start with is the normal duration I have heard taught. Then when you feel you are ready, slowly increase your time.
You are aiming to develop a focus, and doing too much, can leave you exhausted, instead of refreshed. If you are unsure about this, it would be advisable to talk to an experienced meditation master or teacher. If there isn't one in your area, email a reputable meditation organisation for guidance. If required, I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Stick at it, and don't give up. It's like the gym, you miss a day and you then decide to miss another, and before you know it, you don't do meditation anymore. I suffered with this on many occasions, but would jump back on the horse, after a few weeks or months. Now instead of doing that, I think of how blessed I am to have had teachings, from my Lama's and teachers, and try my hardest to make them proud, after all, they took the time to teach me, it seems only right I do them the honorable thing of practicing what they taught.
I understand that some of you may not have a teacher and are using an app, so find your motivation to practice, and write up a motivational paragraph, that you will read to stop you from avoiding your practice. Then make sure you keep it to hand, and read it when required.
My honest opinion is to stay the course, some days you may find you are all over the place, this is normal, all mediators go through rough patches, but overall the good outweighs the bad. We are habitual creatures, once we get into the groove of doing our practice, it gets easier, so be patient and be kind to yourself.

If you stick to these points, as I have, over time, i'm sure you will find that you make steady progress.
I was taught these points by my teachers over the last few years, and they have helped me immensely, so I am passing this on as a way to honer the preciousness of what they taught me.
I hope this helps you find a steady, stable and regular meditation practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment