Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Power of Prospective‏

How many times have you been in really annoying positions and felt angry or just plain frustrated?
I have felt this way, many times and it can make or break your day.
Why should we allow what we think is an external event to ruin our day. The first thing we should understand is that what is happening is not really external, its internal. This may seem strange but through habitual patterns we are allowing ourselves to get annoyed or angry. Our prospective of a situation is the main reason we get angry. 
 
I will share with you an example of how to relieve stressful situations that can be applied in a number of different ways.
 
I was travelling around Sri Lanka, on a public bus that was not only very hot but very packed. My partner and I were very tired and carrying our backpacks on our way to the next hotel. After a while people would push and shove and my frustration and anger began to grow and grow.
I got in such a state of rage that I was about to just shout angrily at the people around me.
But something strange happened. At that very moment it dawned on me, that we were all experiencing this frustrating moment together and that I could chose to be happy or angry. I tried to find something to change my mood. I noticed that the bus was playing music and I just decided to dance. It was a little forced to start with, but everyone around me began to smile and this made me happy and everything changed. This bus ride went from horrid to fun and when the bus stopped next, some people sitting down, offered us their seat and we happily accepted. This example can show that no matter how mad the situation is you can always change how you see it and make it more fun!
You can change the way you look at things, in order to reduce stress and anger, why not give it a try you might surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment